***THIS EVENT HAS NOW PASSED***
Event: Chinese New Year
When: Sunday 10 Feb 11am – 5pm
Where: Stowell Street (and surrounding area) Newcastle City Center
Okay so it’s not Japanese, but it’s probably the biggest Asian celebration in Newcastle so we would be silly not to promote it! 2013 is the Year of the Snake and to celebrate there will be a parade and a host of events in Chinatown.
The events are as follows;
- Parade, Chinese Arch, Stowell Street, From 12.30pm approx –Traditional dragon, lion and unicorn dances.
- Chinese Exhibitions, North East Chinese Association, Stowell Street, 12.30pm – 4pm – The North East Chinese Association presents an exhibition of Chinese costume, food, arts and crafts.
- Chinese Market & Fairground, Bath Lane & Thornton Square – 11am – 5pm – Funfair and stalls featuring traditional arts and crafts and Chinese food.
- Various Events At The Bath Lane Stage – Bath Lane11.30am: Speeches – Speeches from key representatives of the Chinese Community and Newcastle City Council from 11.30am.
- b. 12noon: Eye Dotting Ceremony – A unique opportunity to witness the auspicious Eye Dotting Ceremony of the new Chinese Dragon as he is awoken from his slumber to the sound of firecrackers.
- c. 12.30pm – 5pm: Performances – An exciting spectacle of performances and demonstrations, with the lion dance arriving to distribute Lucky Money at 4pm approx.
- Chinese Activities, The Chinese Centre, Westgate Road,11am – 5pm – Chinese zodiac, calligraphy, foods, card and calendar making, fortune telling, lucky draw and games.
- Children’s Marquee, Thornton Square, 11am – 5pm –Traditional Chinese arts and crafts and fun for all the family.
- Chinese Activities and Games, Dance City, Temple Street, 11am – 5pm – The Chinese Students and Scholars Association and Newcastle University invite you to understand the real Chinese culture; come along and take part in Chinese activities and games old and new.